Here they are together. I'll admit they don't look too bad from far away. A little lumpy maybe, but not ready for the scrap heap yet.
But take a closer look and you can really see the shoddy job that someone did on these poor chairs.
I can't stress how terrible they look. The stain is right over the brass sabots (yes, I totally had to Google to find out what the little brass feet on mid century furniture is called!).
I felt so sorry for them. The upholstery job is almost as heinous as the stain.
And I don't even want to know what this is. Bleugh! Now do you see why they were only $12 each :-)
It was easy enough to separate the seat from the wooden frame. I Googled around and decided to use Citristrip (from Home Depot) to try and bubble up the horrific stain job so I could scrape it off easily.
I did a small text spot on the back of one of the chairs before layered it on the rest of the frame with an old paint brush. I waited about 30 minutes and it seemed to work really well - cue lots and lots and lots of scraping.
And that's pretty much as far as I got this weekend. Fingers crossed it's a case of getting a LOT worse before it gets better.