Sunday, January 20, 2013

Countertop Fraud

The last time I showed you our desk, I had crafted the desktop from cardboard and an old metal shelf (more on that HERE), but it was still looking very sad:


Thanks to some basic walnut look contact paper, the desktop was transformed into this:


It was surprisingly easy to stick on, and has a nice smooth finish.


You can see the metal shelf lip at the back of the desk, so the desktop doesn't slide around and is very sturdy.



Here is the desk area now with all of our accessories added.  Most of the items we already had (the stool was moved from being a side table in our living room, the lamp was an old thrift store find, the black 'in tray' was $2 from J&J Junk).


I did splash out $2 on the Michaels tulips and weekly planner:


I've been collecting these K's over the past few years:



The storage has been so helpful for organizing our important documents......


.......and my Better Homes & Gardens magazines.


The grey drawer organizers were from Homegoods and will hopefully prevent them from becoming junk drawers.


You can see how slimline the desk needed to be (one of the main reasons I couldn't buy new/used).


I'm so pleased with how it turned out - one step closer to organization.



New here, thanks for stopping by. You can stay connected with me through Bloglovin:
Follow on Bloglovin
Google Friend Connect (check bottom right in the side bar)
Or see my likes and loves on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest
Kate
xxx


Linking Back To:
 
 
 
 
Home Stories A2Z

shabby creek cottage
 
HookingupwithHoH

Too Much Time On My Hands

 

11 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic ans so organized!
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and frugal desk. I'm looking for DIY desks for our office makeover. :) I'd love for you to share this at my link party http://www.addhousewife.com/2013/01/pin-inspiration-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so cube and what a cute easy project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how has it held up? This is awesome, and I have a desk I am currently trying to makeover.....the top fake veneer piece was cracked and I had to peel it off.....finding a replacement has been difficult and seems to be expensive. One sheet of veneer is more expensive than the desk....and I would have to find someone to cut it. So is it pretty sturdy? The desk is for my 6 year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brittany, it's holding up well - but I'm sure anything sharper than a pen pushed down on it hard enough would definitely leave an impression. Its easy to wipe clean which is a bonus and it is surprisingly thick (I got our roll from Lowes - the Dollar Tree rolls are noticeably thinner). Good luck with your desk!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. I think I will try it. If worse comes to worse we just wasted some cardboard and paper! No big deal.

      Delete
    3. ok I am still drooling over your office redo, but I again thought of your blog when I received an award this week. I was asked to pass it on, and if you havent already been nominated, check it out:

      I nominated you for the Liebster Award over on my blog, due to your creativity! If you would like to check it out and participate, its http://creatingspacefor5.blogspot.com. Its a great way to get some more traffic to your blog, and I hope you'll participate!
      Brittany @ Creating Space for Five

      Delete
  5. Seriously the most resourceful desktop I have seen yet! I never would have guessed that it was cardboard and contact paper. You are one smart cookie! And the entire space is pretty, functional and so organized! Love it all!

    xo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really interested where you got the white organizers that are the desk "legs"/storage! THat's what caught my eye and what I'd really be interested in duplicating!! Thanks for letting me know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're from Michaels and I think they were only $15 each. Good luck with your project!

      Delete