Sunday, March 17, 2013

Birds on a Wire

Despite our recent yard sale, I did manage to cling on to a few future project pieces (aka old crapped up junk!).  Top of the pile was this frame that my bread print originally came in.


I quickly found a new frame for the print, and popped it on the wall in the nook.


The sad little frame was relegated to the basement.  This weekend I finally came up with the perfect use for it.  I dusted it off and dragged it back upstairs, but it was in a bad way.


I wanted to use the frame to create birds on a wire with little bird silhouettes and silver thread for the wire.  First up was covering up the chipped frame by painting it black.  Next I cut out my bird silhouettes from thick card (I googled bird silhouette and was spoilt for choice).


To secure them to the wire I taped a simple paperclip to the back of each bird.


To create the look of wire I found some thick silver thread at Michaels and staple gunned it randomly across the frame.  The ridge the glass used to sit in was the perfect groove for the staple to be well hidden.  Then it was just a case of placing my little birds on the wires.


I love that you could make this project as big or small as you like, and use as many different colours as you like.






It worked out being the perfect size for the blank wall in our guest room.


New here, thanks for stopping by. You can stay connected with me through Bloglovin:
Follow on Bloglovin
Google Friend Connect (check bottom right in the side bar)
Or see my likes and loves on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest
Kate
xxx
Lil\'Luna
 
 
 
The Shabby Nest

15 comments:

  1. Kate... this is SO cool! I just love what you did with it! Thanks so much for sharing it with us this week at our Monday Funday link party!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely adorable.Love birdes so much and those are so sweet.Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative idea! It's like 3D art. So pretty! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

    Kelly @ view along the way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the birds! They are so cute! Would you consider linking this up at my Pinworthy Projects Party? I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your frame sure stands out now, love the birds on a wire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is darling! It turned out wonderfully!

    ~Emily
    http://tossedsaladlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This project is so cute! I don't know if I ever would have thought to just paper clip the birds to the thread, but it makes perfect sense! How smart!

    Maggie @ thelovenerds.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable, Kate! How sweet! Gotta try this myself (I have a "thing" for birds anyway!)

    ...brilliant!

    Thank you for sharing with the rest of the world! Always great to see creative minds at work. :)

    Visiting from WOW Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style linky party
    Smiles,
    Suz @MaytagNMom
    NW Illinois
    Link To My Party Project This Week

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cute and I'm pinning it. Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great looking decoration. So clean and simple looking. I know our readers will love it, too! We have a weekly Thursday (today:) link up party at allthingswithpurpose.com. We would love to see this post there along with the post on dying your jeans!! We are also your newest FB like :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a neat idea! I love the mixture of the bird silhouettes and wires. Thank you so much for sharing!

    I would love to have you stop by our Simply Create Link party starting tonight at 10:00 EST. and share this post.

    Melissa
    redflycreations(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so pretty! I love the colors you chose. I love art that hangs in open frames, I'm pinning this one for a project someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's adorable. I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this simple DIY wall decor. I think I might make one for my kids' room.

    We'd love for you to share your posts at our Finished Friday blog party.

    ReplyDelete