Sunday, January 13, 2013

Dollar Store Ampersand Art

I really like the wood grain art I have seen popping up around the blogosphere recently, and was inspired to do my own take but on the cheap.  I mean really cheap.  I mean Dollar Store cheap!

What does Dollar Store have that is wood grain.........drawer liners of course!

I whizzed round my local store and picked up these supplies.  I printed out the Ampersand sign in a variety of fonts (I'm slightly obsessed with "&" art at the mo. but this would look just as great with your initial).


(Side Note: how amazing are these Dollar Store 11x14 frames!  I picked up two but will be going back for more).

I cut out the paper sign, traced the outline onto my wood grain drawer liner and cut around it with my Exacto knife.  I made sure the piece I used had a nice wood knot to really highlight the grain.


As if wood grain paper for $1 wasn't amazing enough, it's sticky so is super easy to mount on whatever colour background you choose.  I went for black card that we already had.  I added a simple matte and this is how it looked.


So for $2 I have some funky new art and if I still need to line my drawers, there's plenty left!


New here, thanks for stopping by. You can stay connected with me through Bloglovin:
Follow on Bloglovin
Google Friend Connect (check bottom right in the side bar)
Or see my likes and loves on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest
Kate
xxx
 


Home Stories A2Z


shabby creek cottage

The 36th AVENUE
 
HookingupwithHoH

The Shabby Nest

 

Too Much Time On My Hands
 


 
TDC Before and After

35 comments:

  1. This is so cool Kate! I love the wood ampersand and how thrifty this project was :)

    xoxo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The final project looks way more expensive than $2! Great job!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this combination! Wood grain and ampersands are two of my favorite things! I might need to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this awesome piece of art on Home Stories A to Z. What a great idea. I will be running to my dollar store soon.
    New Follower
    http://inthekitchenandonthecouch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, what a great idea! I think I will give it a go myself! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for the kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great piece of art. I am hosting a new link party and would love if you link up.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/tuesday-link-party-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your idea! Thanks for the inspiration. I am your newest follower!

    Fabrizia @ www.fabtwigs.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is great. I think I'm going to copy you and do the same! Thanks for sharing. Found you via Home Stories A to Z.

    JQ @ http://itsalwaysruetten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really clever and turned out beautifully! Hopped over from Wow Us Wednesday...thanks for sharing! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This little project is such a good idea! I've been looking for a cute ampersand for a photography prop, and I think this would be perfect! Newest follower! :)

    April Hoff
    housebyhoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I soooo love this!! And featured it today as well. Come check it out, and grab a button if you like too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great! I love ampersands, too. I have a whole Pinterest board for them. I'll be adding yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the wood grain liner. I may have to pick some up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Creative idea! I love anything from the dollar store. I saw you linked up at the Shabby Nest.
    Come check out my Hawaiian Coconut Grilled Chicken recipe!
    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great project! Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this--so simple and cute! that fan next to it is pretty cool, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH, this a great project! I like the wood look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe you created that from items at the Dollar store! I'm newly inspired. Pinning! Found you through 30 Handmade Days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea...until I read the post I thought it was a block of wood. I'm totally gonna try this project!!!

    Thanks, Bobi
    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable! And that paper totally looks like wood. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such an awesome idea! Love it so much! New blog follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am featuring this today on my blog. Thanks for linking it up. The next party starts today in a few hours, I hope you will link up again. Thanks.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Love your "&" sign! I found you at the If It's Not Baroque Link party and definitely following you! Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ~ Darlene
    www.MyHoneyBunch.CO

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found you from C.R.A.F.T and when I pulled up your blog and noticed the name I wondered to myself if you were from Bham because of the "Magic City". I really didn't think you would be - I don't know why, but I don't know any bloggers from the South except for a few. I live in the Bham area - so glad to see another Alabamian! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonella, yes, I'm here in Bham. I'm sure you'll recognise lots of the thrift stores and antiques malls I'm always mentioning, such an amazing choice!

      Delete
  26. Love this art! Never would have guessed it was from contact paper. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete