Sunday, February 24, 2013

Super Size Cross Stitch

Do you ever start a project and fall in love with it immediately?  That's exactly how I felt throughout my latest project.  Something about it was just so therapeutic.

Let me start by saying, I have never cross stitched before.  Ever.  I haven't let that stop me in any of my other projects (thank goodness for YouTube) and I wasn't about to start now.

All of the funky/retro cross stitch I have seen on Etsy and Pinterest got me thinking about creating my own version.  This one by Glitter and Wit really caught my eye. 


But I wanted something bigger.  No, make that BIGGER!

I started thinking about what type of canvas I could use to create my super sized cross stitch and came up with the idea of a pegboard.  It is cheap, can be cut to size and has the holes pre drilled.  My next stop was Home Depot where I picked up this 2' by 4' board for only $6.


By this point my imagination was in overdrive. I had a million different ideas about what image to create, and still might splash out on another peg board just so I can try some more options:

spell out Love
or Guest (to go above the bed in the guest room)
or Wash for the laundry room
an arrow with Exit below it for the hallway
an allover pattern - maybe a chevron (could also be used as a headboard)
paint the board a dark colour and use a white yarn (this would better disguise the remaining holes)

I initially decided to go with "Guest" and I started out by trying to sketch the letters onto the back of the board. 


Mistake number one.  I quickly learned that a grid was the way to go to work out what I was going to cross stitch.  I counted out the holes on my pegboard and made a grid by resizing an Excel sheet with the same number of squares.  I really wanted it to look like script, so changed my plan to "hello".  I had bought some brown fuzzy yarn about 6 months ago from Big Lots for only $1 a ball.  As with most things I end up buying, I had no idea at the time what I was going to use it for, but the thickness and texture were perfect for my over sized cross stitch.

Like a giant fuzzy caterpillar.


After the first night it was beginning to take shape.  I'm sure someone who was an accomplished cross-stitcherererer could knock this out in a night.  The fuzz on the carpet when I was finished was crazy, it looked like little Murph had been shaved! I'm amazed there was an fuzziness left! 


It took me 2 nights in total to complete it - luckily it was easy to pull out any mistakes or areas that didn't look quite right and correct them.  Had I had more yarn I would have made the Ls a little taller and had planned to do an extended loop into the H and out of the O. 


I do love how it turned out, especially as the whole thing came in under $10.






A super sized canvas called for an extra thick yarn.




 New here, thanks for stopping by.  You can stay connected with me through Bloglovin:
 
Follow on Bloglovin
 
 Google Friend Connect (check bottom right in the side bar)
 
Or see my likes and loves on Pinterest
 
Follow Me on Pinterest  
 
Kate
xxx




Home Stories A2Z

 
The 36th AVENUE
 
The Shabby Nest

DIY Show Off


 
TDC Before and After
 

 
Lil\'Luna

18 comments:

  1. I have been cross stitching for years and never saw something like this, it's gorgeous! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing - I love it! Such a fun play on cross-stitch and great decor :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the yarn choice! I've been pinning so many x-stitch art projects, but this one will definitely go on my board too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yowza, I love this project! I just started my first cross-stitch project - a phone case. I'm pretty sure I need to make this my next project. Ha! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I've done a lot of small cross-stitches, but would never have thought to do one bigger like this. I love the idea of a "wash" one in the laundry room! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. There are just so many great things you can do with cross stitch, right :) This looks amazing.

    Katja @ http://shiftctrlart.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from YHL. Thanks for sharing. I've been considering a similar project with a metal cabinet door that I already have. I love the juxtaposition in yours between the wood and the super-fuzzy yarn. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! I love the large size and the thick yarn you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so cute! I am a cross stitcherererer and would have never thought to do this. I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so totally cute! I am pinning this one! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks all for the super kind comments. You're all making me want to do another one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really adorable idea! Please share it on Creative Crafts Thursday, www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com, and any of your favorite projects each and every week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love that you went BIGGER, lol, and i too love all the fun and quirky cross stich we're seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is GENIUS! Thanks for linking up to MOnday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely beautiful! You really hit it out of the park with this one...brings me back to the days when I used to cross stitch as a kid. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just brillant. My mom does cross stitch. She needs one for her sewing room.

    ReplyDelete