Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Third Time Lucky

One thing I've learnt since we moved into our house is that sometimes you have to play around with layout and colours and decor until you land on the look you love.   

Take the main wall behind the sofa in the living room.  It started with a framed London Underground print (actually some gift wrap from HERE).  I liked the size and the frame, but I just could not get past the aged creamish map against the crisp white mat.  Something about it looked weird.  I don't know why, but it did, so down it came.


Next up was the DIY starburst mirror.  I love a good startburst as much as the next person, and I think this will definitely end up in another area of the house (maybe painted and in the hallway?).  But it just looked a little raw, or unfinished, or woody or something, so down it came.


The most recent update is my amazingly innovative paint chip art.  Ok, so not really.  Paint chip art has been around forever, but this was my first venture.  Come on, you knew it was only a matter of time.  I mean free art, that couldn't be any more up my street!

There are many, many, many examples of really good paint chip art all over Pinterest. These are some of my faves:







For my take I went for triangles.  I managed to find a paint chip that was close to the main colour in the living room, and I used that to judge which other colours I would use.


I laid out the triangles to work out the general layout and colour spacing


Piece by piece I transferred them to my white backing card.


And I squished them all down with a couple of heavy books (thanks to YHL for their inspiration and for producing a weighty book).


I popped them back in the frame I had used for the underground map, and up on the wall it went.


Just the look I was going for - at least for now!



Kate
xxx



Home Stories A2Z

4 comments:

  1. cute! Love how you tried a different shape than most. Glad to hear others dont always get it right the first time!

    We also have to do some trial and error for lots of things....I have gone through 6 shower curtains in the last month or two. SIX! Why cant I decide its jus a curtain...

    Britt @ Creating Space for Five

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I feel your pain! Sometimes there are just too many choices!

      Delete
  2. Sooo true! It takes time to settle in and getting a feel for what we want our home to look and feel like. I am not sure if most of us are ever done, that's the fun part.

    xo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only used paint chips to dress up a tray but I keep seeing gorgeous art pieces made from them and think I should be able to make one. Now I have to add yours to my list of ideas for paint chips.

    I like your star burst mirror, but I agree with you that the bare wood is somehow off. I can picture it with a few different shades that would match the decor of the room it ends up in that should set off the mirrored part nicely.

    ReplyDelete